How do I set up a simple points-based Gradebook?
In this scenario, you are setting up a simple gradebook without any categories or weighting. It provides a straightforward calculation of total points earned in the course. With this type of gradebook setup, you cannot use the Group by Category option to organize the visual layout of your gradebook items. You also cannot drop scores automatically.
Go to Gradebook.
Click the Settings tab.
Click to expand the Categories and Weighting section.
Click the Grades tab.
Click Add Gradebook Item to create items.
- Add the following gradebook items for this example: Homework 1, Homework 2, Homework 3, Homework 4, Project 1, Project 2, Project 3, Project 4, Midterm, and Final. The title for the first item is shown in the image above.
- Assign 100 points for every item.
- Be sure to check the boxes next to Release item to students? and Include item in course grade calculations? for each item.
- Click Create to save the item.
To test our scenario:
Let’s say student01 has earned the following points:
- Homework 1 - 89 out of 100
- Homework 2 - 94 out of 100
- Homework 3 - 78 out of 100
- Homework 4 - 82 out of 100
- Project 1 - 83 out of 100
- Project 2 - 88 out of 100
- Project 3 - 95 out of 100
- Project 4 - 91 out of 100
- Midterm - 90 out of a 100
- Final - 95 out of a 100
The Gradebook will automatically add up all of the scores and divide by the total points possible.
The grade calculation is (89+94+78+82+83+88+95+91+90+95)/1000 points. The student's overall grade average = 88.5%.
If you try this example and don’t get the same results, you might want to go back and make sure that:
- Each gradebook item is worth 100 points.
- Each gradebook item is released to students and included in gradebook calculations (two checkboxes).
- The student grades were entered correctly.